Silverton War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1464412
Date first listed:
10-Jul-2019
Location Description:
Located at the junction of Newcourt Road and School Road, Silverton, Devon

Map

Ordnance survey map of Silverton War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1464412.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2019 at 01:29:32.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
Located at the junction of Newcourt Road and School Road, Silverton, Devon
County:
Devon
District:
Mid Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Silverton
National Grid Reference:
SS9556702856

Summary

War memorial, erected in 1922. Designed and built by Messrs Harry Hems & Sons, Exeter.

Reasons for Designation

Silverton War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:

* as an accomplished and well-realised design in the form of a Celtic wheel-cross. Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Group value:

* it has good group value with numerous listed buildings nearby, including the British Legion Hall (Grade II).

History

The great age of memorial building was in the aftermath of the First World War with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

Silverton War Memorial was sculpted by Messrs Harry Hems & Sons, Exeter at a cost of almost £200, and was unveiled on Sunday 23 April, St George’s Day, 1922 by the distinguished British soldier and Conservative Party politician Colonel G J Acland-Troyte CMG DSO. It is located in the old school grounds of the C18 charity school (Grade II, and since used as a British Legion hall) located to the opposite side of Newcourt Road.

The names of ten parishioners who died during the Second World War were subsequently added to the memorial.

Details

War memorial, erected in 1922. Designed and built by Messrs Harry Hems & Sons, Exeter.

MATERIALS: carved from granite. The recessed inscription panels are cut into the stone and have lead lettering.

DESCRIPTION: located in a prominent position to the south-east corner of the cross roads, at the junction of Newcourt Road and School Road, the memorial comprises a Celtic wheel-cross decorated with relief-carved knotwork, on a tall tapered shaft, and tapered square plinth. The whole stands on a three-stepped, square base.

The inscription on the north-west face of the plinth reads:

IN MEMORY OF / THE MEN OF SILVERTON / WHO FOUGHT AND DIED / IN THE GREAT WAR / 1914 – 1919

To both the south-west and north-east face of the plinth are recorded 20 names each, commemorating the 40 men of the parish who died in the First World War.

An additional recessed inscription panel has been cut into the upper step of the base which reads:

AND OF THOSE MEN WHO DIED IN / THE SECOND WORLD WAR 1939-1945

The names of ten men are recorded on the step below.

SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: in front of the memorial is a square granite vase with the inscription:

PRESENTED / BY THE / WOMEN’S SECTION / BRITISH LEGION

Sources

Websites
Silverton, accessed 8 May 2019 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/25361
Silverton, accessed 8 May 2019 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/208941/
Other
'Silverton Memorial: Col. Acland Troyte unveils a Celtic cross', in Western Times (Tuesday, 25 April 1922)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].