Appleby Magna War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1464662
Date first listed:
17-Jul-2019
Statutory Address:
St Michael's Churchyard extension, Church Street, Appleby Magna, Leicestershire, DE12 7BB

Map

Ordnance survey map of Appleby Magna War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1464662.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2019 at 02:35:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
St Michael's Churchyard extension, Church Street, Appleby Magna, Leicestershire, DE12 7BB

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Leicestershire
District:
North West Leicestershire (District Authority)
Parish:
Appleby Magna
National Grid Reference:
SK3148509889

Summary

First World War memorial cross, 1920, with later additions.

Reasons for Designation

Appleby Magna War Memorial, 1920, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a simple but well-executed granite Celtic cross.

Group Value:

* with the Grade II* listed Church of St Michael and a number of other listed structures.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and the official policy of not repatriating the dead: memorials, therefore, provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

Like a great number of memorials, Appleby Magna war memorial was funded by public subscription, and was designed and executed by Henry Charles Mitchell of Tamworth. The memorial was unveiled on Sunday 03 October, 1920 by Lieutenant-Colonel Byron, commanding officer of the Leicestershire Yeomanry Cavalry, and dedicated by the Rector, the Reverend CT Moore, MA. The memorial commemorates 14 local servicemen who fell in the First World War, and was added to following the Second World War, and again in 1956, following the death of a local soldier in Cyprus.

Details

First World War memorial cross, 1920, with later additions.

MATERIALS: constructed from grey granite.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands in the cemetery in Church Street, opposite the churchyard of St Michael and All Angels Church. It comprises a Celtic cross with a tapering shaft standing on stepped square pedestal and base. The head of the cross is enriched with relief-moulded knotwork. The shaft is inscribed in incised lettering: ‘THEIR / NAME / LIVETH FOR / EVERMORE’, and the step: ‘TO THE GLORY OF GOD’. A metal plaque is fixed to the pedestal; it reads ‘IN PROUD AND LOVING MEMORY OF / THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES / 1914-1918’, followed by the names of the 14 local servicemen who fell in the war. Beneath are inscriptions to those who lost their lives in the Second World War, and in Cyprus in 1956.

Sources

Websites
Appleby Magna War Memorial, War Memorials Register, Imperial War Museum, accessed 21/05/2019 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/14796
'Memorial Cross, St Michaels Churchyard - Appleby Magna', Leicestershire War Memorials Project, accessed 21/05/2019 from http://www.leicestershirewarmemorials.co.uk/war/memorials/view/11
Other
‘Appleby War Memorial’, Tamworth Herald, 9 October 1920, 2

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].