Swinford War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1464664
Date first listed:
05-Aug-2019
Statutory Address:
All Saint's Churchyard, Corner of High Street and Rugby Road, Swinford, Leicestershire, LE17 6BN

Map

Ordnance survey map of Swinford War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1464664 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 02:03:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
All Saint's Churchyard, Corner of High Street and Rugby Road, Swinford, Leicestershire, LE17 6BN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Leicestershire
District:
Harborough (District Authority)
Parish:
Swinford
National Grid Reference:
SP5696479403

Summary

First World War memorial, approximately 1920.

Reasons for Designation

Swinford War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* a pared-back wheel cross in pink granite which survives intact.

Group Value:

* with the Grade II* listed Church of All Saints and other listed buildings in the village centre.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and the official policy of not repatriating the dead: memorials, therefore, provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

Swinford war memorial is situated within the parish churchyard, overlooking a main road junction in the heart of the village. The memorial is presumed to have been erected within a couple of years of the end of the war, and was designed by Pullen and Sons of Northampton. It commemorates eight local servicemen who fell in the First World War. The memorial was stabilized and the incised inscription re-gilded in 2010. At the same time, it was inscribed with the Second World War casualties’ names.

Details

First World War memorial, approximately 1920.

MATERIALS: constructed from polished pink granite.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial is located in the southeast corner of All Saints Churchyard. It comprises a wheel-head cross with a tapering shaft and plinth with single-stepped base. The plinth bears the inscriptions in incised and gilded lettering.

The inscription reads: ‘TO THE GLORY OF GOD / 1914-1918 / IN HONOURED MEMORY OF / THE MEN OF THIS PARISH WHO / LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR’ followed by the names of the fallen, and ‘THEY DIED THAT WE MIGHT LIVE’. On the west face is the inscription ‘1939-1945’, followed by two names.

Sources

Websites
Memorial Cross, All Saints Churchyard - Swinford', Leicestershire War Memorials Project, accessed 25 July 2019 from http://www.leicestershirewarmemorials.co.uk/war/memorials/view/1115
Swinford - WWI and WWII cross, War memorials Register, Imperial War Museum, accessed 21 May 2019 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/69700
Swinford Memorial Cross, ref WMO207061, War Memorials Online, accessed 21 May 2019 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/207061/

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].