Ivybridge War Memorial


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Junction of Fore Street and Erme Road, Ivybridge, Devon, PL21 9AE


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1465482.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2021 at 00:14:13.


Statutory Address:
Junction of Fore Street and Erme Road, Ivybridge, Devon, PL21 9AE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Hams (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:


First World War memorial, of 1922, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Ivybridge War Memorial, 1922, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* an elegant monument built in durable granite, which is unaltered, and continues to reflect the sentiments of the community by whom it was erected.


The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Ivybridge as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by 44 members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

When a First World War memorial tablet was installed in Ivybridge Parish Church at the beginning of June 1920 plans were already being considered to erect a town war memorial in a central location. The unveiling of Ivybridge’s war memorial took place on 24 September 1922 and was carried out by Colonel FB Mildmay.

In 1935, Ivybridge Urban Council discussed ways to prevent “irreverent treatment” of the war memorial; it is presumed that the chains, suspended from shaped posts, were added at that time. Following the end of the Second World War, the pillars at either side of the memorial were re-faced and the names of 26 fallen from that conflict were added.


First World War memorial, of 1922, with later additions for the Second World War.

MATERIALS: constructed from grey granite.

PLAN: the memorial stands at the junction of Fore Street and Erme Road, facing south.

DESCRIPTION: a Latin cross rising from a slim pedestal, set at the centre of a curved screen wall. The screen has recessed panels bearing inscriptions, and a pedimented pier at either end.

The pedestal, inscribed with applied lead lettering, reads ‘IN HONOUR / OF THE MEN OF IVYBRIDGE / WHO MADE THE / SUPREME SACRIFICE / FOR THEIR / COUNTRY / IN THE GREAT WAR / 1914 – 1918’. The names of the 44 fallen from the First World War are recorded on the recessed panels on the wall of the memorial. The south faces of both piers list thirteen names each, under the dedication ‘1939-1945’.

The memorial stands on a paved area with a dwarf post and chain fence.


Ivybridge War Memorial, Dartmoor Trust Archive, accessed 01/07/2019 from http://www.dartmoorarchive.org/record/108833
Ivybridge, Imperial War Museums War Memorials Register, accessed 01/07/2019 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/25594
‘Col F B Mildmay, MP’, Western Times, 29 September 1922, p4
‘Ivybridge Plan’, Western Morning News, 5 March 1935, p5
‘Ivybridge War Memorial’, Western Morning News, 4 June 1920, p8


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].