Norton War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1466687
Date first listed:
20-Apr-2020
Statutory Address:
The Dog Inn Car Park, Ixworth Road, Junction of The Street, Norton, Suffolk, IP31 3LP

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1466687.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Dec-2021 at 04:35:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
The Dog Inn Car Park, Ixworth Road, Junction of The Street, Norton, Suffolk, IP31 3LP

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Norton
National Grid Reference:
TL9573565748

Summary

First World War memorial, 1920, by H H Martyn and Company with names added after the Second World War and another in 1947.

Reasons for Designation

Norton War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* it is an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* it is a well-detailed memorial in the form of an elaborately carved Celtic wheel cross.

Group value:

* it has group value with the Grade II listed The Dog Inn in whose car park it is situated.

History

The aftermath of the First World War that was the great age of memorial building, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Norton in 1920 as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the 23 members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. It was constructed by H H Martyn and Company at a cost of £159 17s 4d raised by public subscription. The memorial was unveiled on Sunday 7 November 1920.

The names of the five parishioners who fell during the Second World War were subsequently added to the memorial, as was the name of an individual who died in 1947.

Details

First World War memorial, 1920, by H H Martyn and Company with names added after the Second World War and another in 1947.

MATERIALS: Portland stone.

PLAN: the memorial stands in a prominent location in the car park of the Grade II listed The Dog Inn.

EXTERIOR: it is in the form of an elaborately carved Celtic wheel cross. The front and rear faces of the crosshead and its wheel are decorated with ornately relief-carved interlace designs. The cross-shaft is slender and tapering and its foot is similarly decorated with carved interlace. The cross stands on a trapezoidal plinth and square base, and the whole sits upon a large, two-tiered square base, painted white. The memorial is surrounded by a square of eight white stone bollards connected by chains.

The monument is oriented to face across the road junction and the main inscription is carved into the shaft of the cross in black-painted lettering. It reads: IN THE/ GREAT WAR/ THESE DIED/ FOR/ ENGLAND/ ––/ 1914-1919/.

The ranks, initials, surnames, and regiments of the 23 fallen of the First World War are listed on the front and both sides of the plinth. On the rear of the plinth is the additional inscription: 1939-1945/ (5 NAMES)/ DIED ON ACTIVE SERVICE 1947/ (1 NAME).

On the front edge of the base is the inscription: THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE.

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum War Memorials Register, accessed 19 June 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/4800
War Memorials Online database, accessed 19 June 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/132171

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing