Raydon War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1466689
Date first listed:
27-Apr-2020
Statutory Address:
St Mary's Churchyard, The Street, Raydon, Suffolk, IP7 5LW

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1466689.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2021 at 15:44:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
St Mary's Churchyard, The Street, Raydon, Suffolk, IP7 5LW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Babergh (District Authority)
Parish:
Raydon
National Grid Reference:
TM0497538624

Summary

First World War memorial, erected by Messrs LJ Watt and unveiled on Sunday 1 August 1920. Further names were added after the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Raydon War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* it is an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Group value:

* it has group value with the Grade II* listed Church of St Mary.

History

The concept of commemorating war dead did not develop to any great extent until towards the end of the C19. Previously, memorials were rare and were mainly dedicated to individual officers, or sometimes regiments. The first large-scale erection of war memorials dedicated to the ordinary soldier followed the Second Boer War of 1899-1902, the first major war following reforms to the British Army which led to regiments being recruited from local communities and with volunteer soldiers. However, it was the aftermath of the First World War that was the great age of memorial building, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Raydon as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. The memorial was erected by Messrs LJ Watt (builders) and it was unveiled on Sunday 1 August 1920.

The names of those parishioners who fell during the Second World War were subsequently added to the memorial.

Details

First World War Memorial.

MATERIALS: limestone.

PLAN: the memorial is located beside the main entrance to the churchyard, to the east of the Grade II* listed Church of St Mary.

EXTERIOR: it is in the form of a plain Celtic cross with a tapering shaft on a tapering plinth which stands on a three-stepped base. The lower step is of concrete.

The main inscription is in leaded lettering on a plain marble tablet on the east face of the plinth. It reads: THESE MEN FELL FIGHTING/ FOR THEIR COUNTRY/ 1914-1918./ (NAMES)/ ‘THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE.’

An additional inscription in leaded lettering on a plain marble tablet on the north face of the plinth reads: THESE MEN/ ALSO FELL FIGHTING/ FOR THEIR COUNTRY/ IN THE/ SECOND WORLD WAR/ 1939-1945/ (NAMES)/ ‘THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR/ EVERMORE.’

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum War Memorials Register, accessed 19 June 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/4475
War Memorials Online database, accessed 19 June 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/168154

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].