Covenham St Bartholomew War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1469632
Date first listed:
15-Mar-2021
Statutory Address:
In the Churchyard overlooking Main Street, St Bartholomew's Church, Main Street, Covenham St Bartholomew, East Lindsey, LM11 0PF

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1469632.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-May-2021 at 08:45:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
In the Churchyard overlooking Main Street, St Bartholomew's Church, Main Street, Covenham St Bartholomew, East Lindsey, LM11 0PF

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Covenham St. Bartholomew
National Grid Reference:
TF3387594535

Summary

War memorial crafted by Mawer Bros of Louth and unveiled in 1920, dedicated to members of the local community who served and lost their lives in the First World War, and later the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Covenham St Bartholomew War Memorial, crafted by Mawer Bros of Louth, unveiled in 1920, and dedicated to members of the local community who served and lost their lives in the First World War, and later the Second World War, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a richly-carved and well-executed memorial.

Group value:

* for the strong group value the war memorial holds with nearby listed buildings, including the Church of St Bartholomew (listed at Grade II*), and neighbouring Haith’s Farm House (listed at Grade II).

History

The aftermath of the First World War was the great age of memorial building, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Covenham St Bartholomew as a permanent testament to the sacrifices made by members of the local community who both served and lost their lives in the First World War. The memorial was paid for by public subscription, and crafted and erected by Mawer Bros of Louth. It was unveiled on 12 September 1920, commemorating five individuals who fell in the First World War, and 18 who served in the conflict, including one woman, Sister Lamming. A granite slab was later added at the foot of the west elevation to include four additional names, two who served in the First World War, and two who served in the Second World War.

Details

War memorial crafted by Mawer Bros of Louth and unveiled in 1920, dedicated to members of the local community who served and lost their lives in the First World War, and later the Second World War.

MATERIALS: The memorial is crafted from granite.

DESCRIPTION: It takes the form of a Celtic cross with a raised knotwork design on the cross head and shaft, and stands on a tapered rough-hewn plinth. The west elevation of the plinth bears the following painted inscription: 'SACRED TO THE MEMORY / OF / (5 NAMES) / OF COVENHAM ST BART’S, / WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR, / 1914-1919. / “GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN / THAN THIS.” ' The north and south elevations of the plinth bear the inscribed and painted names of 18 residents of the village who served in the First World War. At the foot of the west elevation of the memorial a smooth granite slab was later added and bears the following painted inscription: 'ALSO / 1914 -1918 / (2 NAMES) / 1939 -1945 / (2 NAMES)'. The memorial stands on a square-plan concrete base, and is bounded by a stone kerb with a metal post and rail dwarf fence. The memorial stands within the churchyard of the Church of St Bartholomew (listed at Grade II*).

Sources

Books and journals
Credland, M, The First World War Memorials of Lincolnshire, (2014), 69
Websites
Imperial War Museum, War Memorials Register, 'Covenham St Bartholomew', accessed 22 February 2021 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/53463
Roll of Honour, 'Covenham St Bartholomew War Memorial', accessed 22 February 2021 from https://www.roll-of-honour.com/Lincolnshire/CovenhamStBartholomew.html

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].