Rushmere St Andrew War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1469902
Date first listed:
20-Apr-2020
Statutory Address:
St Andrew's Churchyard, The Street, Rushmere St Andrew, Suffolk, IP5 1DJ

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1469902.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2021 at 11:19:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
St Andrew's Churchyard, The Street, Rushmere St Andrew, Suffolk, IP5 1DJ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
East Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Rushmere St. Andrew
National Grid Reference:
TM1961246032

Summary

First World War memorial erected by Messrs Frewer and Moss and unveiled 11 April 1920 by Lieutenant-Colonel F W Turner.

Reasons for Designation

Rushmere St Andrew War Memorial, 1920 is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* it is an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Group value:

* it has group value with the Grade II* listed Church of St Andrew.

History

The aftermath of the First World War that was the great age of memorial building, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Rushmere St Andrew as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the 39 members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. The memorial was erected by Messrs Frewer and Moss and was unveiled on Sunday 11 April 1920 by Lieutenant-Colonel F W Turner.

Details

First World War memorial erected by Messrs Frewer and Moss and unveiled 11 April 1920 by Lieutenant-Colonel F W Turner.

MATERIALS: pale grey granite.

PLAN: the memorial stands in St Andrew’s churchyard to the south of the Grade II* listed church.

EXTERIOR: it is in the form of a plain Celtic cross with a tapering shaft supported on a tapering plinth with a two-stepped base. The inscription on the east face of the plinth reads: IN MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF THIS PARISH/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914-1918/ (18 names). On the upper step is inscribed FAITHFUL UNTO DEATH. Eleven names are inscribed on the south face of the plinth, and ten are inscribed on the north face.

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum War Memorials Register , accessed 16 June 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/5557

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].