Manningham War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1470532
Date first listed:
18-Aug-2020
Location Description:
Manningham War Memorial, Victor Road, Manningham, Bradford, West Yorkshire, BD9 4QS

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1470532.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Jul-2021 at 09:21:39.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
Manningham War Memorial, Victor Road, Manningham, Bradford, West Yorkshire, BD9 4QS
District:
Bradford (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SE1482034949

Summary

First World War memorial, about 1921, designed by T H & F Healey of Bradford.

Reasons for Designation

Manningham War Memorial, erected about 1921, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:

* a well-designed monument by local architects T H & F Healey of Bradford, with an elegant reversed bronze sword set on a Latin stone cross.

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Group value:

* it benefits from an historic group value with the Church of St Luke, and a spatial group value with St Luke’s Sunday School and Lister (Manningham) Mills.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three-quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

Manningham War Memorial was erected in the north-east corner of the churchyard of the Church of St Luke (National Heritage List for England (NHLE): 1290800) as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by local servicemen who lost their lives. The memorial cross was designed by T H & F Healey of Bradford (1863-1932), who also designed the church, and it was unveiled in front of a large crowd by Colonel R Clough of the sixth West Yorkshire Regiment on 26 February 1921; it was dedicated by Dr Perowne, Bishop of Bradford. Four dedicatory oak panels naming the 176 fallen servicemen are associated with the war memorial. They were originally positioned inside the Church of St Luke but relocated in 1983 to the Church of St Paul and St Jude (NHLE: 1133216). The total cost of the memorial and the panels was £460.

Details

First World War memorial, about 1921, designed by T H & F Healey of Bradford.

MATERIALS: Bolton Wood sandstone.

PLAN: half-octagonal.

DESCRIPTION: Manningham War Memorial stands at the corner of Leamington Street and Victor Road forming part of the churchyard wall to the north-east of the Grade II-listed Church of St Luke. It takes the form of a Latin memorial cross ornamented with a reversed bronze sword, and a chamfered base, set on top of a square chamfered plinth with the words: TO THE/ GLORY/ OF/ GOD engraved on the front face, with a three-stepped half-octagonal base. It stands in a semi-circular recess, with radiating flags, enclosed to the rear by a railed semi-circular parapet wall and two piers connecting to the churchyard wall. The chamfered capstones of the parapet wall are engraved with the words: (left side) IN HONOUR OF MEN OF THIS PARISH WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES (right side) IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918 THEIR NAMES ARE INSCRIBED WITHIN THIS CHURCH.

Sources

Other
Imperial War Museum War Memorial Register - St Luke's Church, Manningham, accessed 7 May 2020, via https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/28552
War Memorials Online - St Luke's Church WWI, accessed 7 May 2020, via https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/170615/

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].