Tilbury Clock Tower War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1471691
Date first listed:
23-Oct-2020
Statutory Address:
Civic Square, Tilbury, Essex, RM18 8ZZ

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1471691.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2021 at 09:31:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
Civic Square, Tilbury, Essex, RM18 8ZZ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Thurrock (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ6436476278

Summary

A First World War clock tower memorial, with added names from Second World War, the Malaysian Emergency and the Falklands Conflict.

Reasons for Designation

Tilbury Clock Tower War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest

* as a high quality design, monumental in scale, and a central feature of the masterplan for the area in the 1930s.

History

The aftermath of the First World War that was the great age of memorial building, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

This war memorial was unveiled on 10 November 1934. It was built around the same time as the new civic buildings: the council offices and public library. The clock tower was clearly part of the masterplan, and designed as a contextual response to the prevailing townscape character. It commemorates 156 local servicemen who died during the First World War. Names have later been added to commemorate the fallen of the Second World War, one from Malaya 1950 and one from the Falklands Conflict (1982). The First and Second World War names are grouped by the Royal Navy and Mercantile, Military and Royal Air Force.

The four flagstaffs at the corners and low iron railings were added in the late C20. The memorial underwent some repairs in 2014.

Details

A First World War clock tower memorial, with added names from Second World War, the Malaysian Emergency and the Falklands Conflict.

MATERIALS: painted limestone with bronze plaques.

DESCRIPTION: a tall square tower with Roman Ionic corner pilasters supporting a deep entablature, set on a low pedestal and crowned by a block with a round clock face on each side and a ball finial.

Inscribed into the front face of the pedestal is MAY JUSTICE MERCY & PEACE/ PREVAIL AMONG THE NATIONS. There are two further bronze plaques on the pedestal, the first of which reads FOR YOUR TOMORROW WE/ GAVE OUR TODAY. AT/ THE GOING DOWN OF THE/ SUN AND IN THE MORNING/ WE WILL REMEMBER THEM. The second reads IN HONOURED MEMORY TO/ LOCAL SERVICEMEN AND WOMEN/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR/ FREEDOM AND PEACE IN/ THE GREAT WAR 1914-18./ SECOND WORLD WAR 1939-45./ MALAYA 1950 AND FALKLAND 1982.

The memorial is set within a paved area in front of the municipal buildings in Civic Square.

Sources

Websites
IWM, accessed 24 July 2020 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/22635
Tilbury and Chadwell Memories , accessed accessed 24/07/2020 from https://www.tilburyandchadwellmemories.org.uk/content/places/the_tilbury_war_memorial
War Memorials Online- Tilbury, accessed 24 July 2020 from http://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/node/191843

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].