George Harrison Monument at Cromer Old Cemetery

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1471825
Date first listed:
18-Aug-2020
Statutory Address:
George Harrison Monument 15m south of the chapel, Cromer Old Cemetery, Holt Road, Cromer, Norfolk, NR27 9EB

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1471825.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Jul-2021 at 10:35:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
George Harrison Monument 15m south of the chapel, Cromer Old Cemetery, Holt Road, Cromer, Norfolk, NR27 9EB

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
North Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Cromer
National Grid Reference:
TG2120141951

Summary

A finely-carved headstone commemorating a local fisherman, dating from around 1890.

Reasons for Designation

The George Harrison Monument at Cromer Old Cemetery is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:

* a finely carved headstone depicting a sailing boat in full sail, commemorating a local fisherman.

Group value:

* it has group value with the listed cemetery chapel and three other listed headstones in Cromer Old Cemetery.

History

The land for Cromer Cemetery was donated by B B Cabell of Cromer Hall in 1860. There was originally a private path between the cemetery and the hall. A quarter of the cemetery was reserved for dissenters, the rest was consecrated for Anglicans. The cemetery closed to burials in 1908.

Details

Headstone. c1890. Carved stone. The headstone has slightly narrowed sides and a curved top with rope decoration on the curve. At the top is a circular relief of a small sailing boat in full sail with the mast in view (c.f. the listed Stimpson headstone where the full sail is seen from the front). The inscription records George, the husband of Mary, Harrison who died 29 June 1889.

A headstone to a member of one of the local families of fishermen with a fine relief carving. Forms a group with the listed chapel and three other listed headstones in Cromer Cemetery.

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].