Apothecaries’ Hall, 10–18 Blackfriars Lane, City of London: Tree-Ring Analysis of Pine Timbers from the Hall Roof

Author(s): Dr Martin Bridge

Four large pine timbers from the roof over the Hall were sampled. Three of the derived ring-width sequences matched each other and were dated, the fourth timber gave a long sequence that was not dated. The resulting site sequence dated to the period AD 1382– 1666. It seems likely that the timbers were derived from a Scandinavian source, and that all three were felled at about the same time, probably in the late-seventeenth century. The roof is known to have been lost in the Great Fire of AD 1666, and there are records of rebuilding having been completed by AD 1672, suggesting that the timbers are from this phase.

Report Number:
Research Department Reports
Dendrochronology Standing Building


If you require an alternative, accessible version of this document (for instance in audio, Braille or large print) please contact us:

Customer Service Department

Telephone: 0370 333 0607
Textphone: 0800 015 0516
Email: [email protected]