16th century Finchale Priory, Framwellgate Moor, Durham
A reconstruction drawing of the monastery as it looked in c1530. The history of the site begins with St. Godric living there in a hermitage from 1115 until his death in 1170. The buildings then became the property of the Prior of the Convent of Durham ( Benedictine ). In 1196 it was granted to Hugh Puiset, son of Bishop le Puiset. At the same time he granted the right to elect the Prior of Finchale to the Prior and Convent of Durham. The first surviving buildings were built around 1196. They were put up for accommodation while the main buildings were built. These are a rare example of such structures. The main buildings date from c1237 until the late 13th century. The church was completed around 1277. During the 1300s it became a small rest house for groups of monks from Durham. This continued until its dissolution in 1538. This site is now in the care of English Heritage (2010). Read detailed archaeological description.