19 Green Road, Stratton St Margaret, Swindon

19 Green Road, Stratton St Margaret, Swindon
Photograph taken 29 May 2001 © Dr Robert Slade. Source Historic England Archive ref: 318557

This 17th century building was once a Dame School. Dame Schools were run by private individuals and generally offered only a very basic level of education to local children by teachers with no qualifications. Some provided little more than a baby-sitting service. They were, however, popular with working class parents who felt able to relate to the teachers. They continued until the end of the nineteenth century.

Location

Swindon Stratton St Margaret

Period

Stuart (1603 - 1713)

Tags

school education charity stuart (1603 - 1713)