2-4 Bath Road, Frome, Somerset
This was once a school. It is dated 1833. It was built for George Sheppard's wife as a dame school. Dame schools were run by private individuals. They generally offered only a very basic level of education to local children by teachers with no qualifications. Some provided little more than a baby-sitting service. They were, however, popular with working class parents who felt able to relate to the teachers. They remained until the end of the nineteenth century.