4&5 Percy Street, Alnwick, Northumberland
These buildings were originally a Mechanics Institute. It was founded in 1824 and built by 1831. It had a lecture room and library. Mechanics Institutes were set up to allow working class men access to education. Many of them would never have been to school. They were seen as a way to help people 'better' themselves.