5-7 Friarage Terrace, Northallerton, North Yorkshire
These houses were built in 1844 as a British School. It continued for twenty years. The British and Foreign School Society supported the building of schools called British Schools on behalf of the Nonconformist churches. The British schools taught boys and girls in fixed rows of desks facing the master's desk. Standards (wooden poles) placed at the end of the rows marked the different age groups. The name 'Standard' was later used to describe a class. When this system of teaching became less popular the schoolrooms were turned into houses.