78-88 High Street, Brackley, Northamptonshire

78-88 High Street, Brackley, Northamptonshire
Photograph taken 29 July 2003 © Jim Adams. Source Historic England Archive ref: 233870

These buildings were originally almshouses. They were for 6 aged widows. They were founded by Sir Thomas Crew in 1633. He endowed them with £24. This was increased by Nathaniel Lord Crew, Bishop of Durham, in 1721 with the addition of £12.

Location

Northamptonshire Brackley

Period

Stuart (1603 - 1713)

Tags

almshouse poor charity philanthropy Stuart (1603 - 1713)