A Harper Sons & Bean, Dudley, West Midlands
A. Harper & Sons was founded in Dudley by Absolom Harper in 1822. In 1907 George Bean became chairman and the name was changed to A. Harper & Sons & Bean. The company was a supplier of car parts. In 1911 they installed drop hammers to increase production. During the war they produced shrapnel and shell cases for the government. By 1916 Bean was producing around 21,000 shells a week. The company clearly employed women as well as men. After the war George Bean received a knighthood for his services during the war and his son Jack was given a CBE. The company started making the Bean Motor Car.