A patient whose eye socket is being repaired with a cartilege graft, Bangour Hospital, Broxburn, Edinburgh, Scotland
A portrait of a gunshot patient whose missing eye and socket is being repaired with a cartilege graft at Bangour Hospital. Bangour General Hospital was built during the Second World War as an annexe to Bangour Village Hospital for Mental Diseases and was run by the Department of Health for Scotland under the Emergency Hospitals Scheme. The Lothian Regional Plastic Surgery Service began at the hospital in 1941 and a Plastic Surgery Unit remained based in Bangour until 1992. It is likely that this photo shows the work of Alexander "Alister" Burns Wallace CBE FRSE FRCSE (1906–1974), a Scottish plastic surgeon. He was a founding member and president (1951) of the British Association of Plastic Surgeons, and the first editor of the British Journal of Plastic Surgery. He served as plastic surgeon at the Scottish Emergency Medical Hospital at Bangour from 1940–45.