A physiotherapist giving remedial exercises, Wharncliffe Emergency Hospital, (part of) Middlewood Hospital, Sheffield
Physiotherapist is Miss B. Gershoi, who was in charge of the physiotherapy department, giving 'Swedish remedial exercises' to a patient. In January 1915 Wadsley Asylum, was one of the locations selected as a war hospital. It was adapted for military use during World War One under the name of the 'Wharncliffe War Hospital'. At its largest it had 2039 beds. Wharncliffe War Hospital closed on 31 July 1920, having treated nearly 37,000 patients since opening on 1 April 1915. The asylum buildings were reinstated and the mental patients were thereafter readmitted. After the outbreak of World War Two in 1939, the Emergency Medical Services took over part of the hospital. Five more wards were built and the accommodation was named the 'Wharncliffe Emergency Hospital'; it was equipped to treat medical, surgical and neurosis casualties.