A surgeon examining an x-ray photograph, St Bartholomew's Hospital, West Smithfield, City of London, Greater London
A surgeon examining an x-ray photograph in front of a diagram of the X-ray room at the Mozelle Sasson High Voltage X-Ray Therapy Department at St Bartholomew's Hospital. The first scientific paper on X-Rays was published in December 1895. The first X-ray plant was installed at St Bartholomew's by 1896. The department under went many changes during the early 20th century. On the 10 December 1936 the Mozelle Sassoon High Voltage X-Ray Therapy Department was officially opened. It was in a specially constructed building and used barium concrete to provide insulation against stray radiation. This equipment was in use until 1962 and treated around 5,000 patients.