Abbey Church of St Mary, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire
A Benedictine abbey was founded here in 1102. The church was consecrated in 1121. The central tower was built between 1125-50. It was damaged by fire in 1178. After the dissolution of the monasteries (c1536) the Abbey Church became a parish church. Major restoration was done by Sir Gilbert Scott and Sons in 1875-1879.