Abbey Ruins, Abbey Precincts, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk
Ruins of the Abbey Church of St Edmund. Little now remains of the site except the rubble bases of several of the columns. Parts of the high crossing arches supporting the central tower are today the tallest parts of the ruins. The crossing tower, begun just after 1100, was completed by Abbot Anselm, but damaged later and rebuilt in stages from 1361. The abbey dates from the 14th century. It housed the relics of the martyred king, St. Edmund. It was used as a temporary residence by Henry VI and was burnt out by an accidental fire in 1465. It finally became ruinous after King Henry VIII's dissolution of the monasteries in 1539.This site is now in the care of English Heritage (2010) but managed by St. Edmundsbury Borough Council.