Accumulator Tower, Goole, East Riding of Yorkshire
This hydraulic accumulator tower is approximately 20 metres east of the South Dock in Bridge Street. It was built in the mid - late 19th century for the Aire and Calder Navigation. It contained machinery to provide hydraulic power for the boat hoist in the nearby South Dock. A similar, larger, tower stands at the head of the Stanhope Dock. The hydraulic accumulator was invented by Sir William Armstrong and first used in Newcastle in 1851. The tower had stood disused and derelict for some time when photographed.