Almshouses, Chipping Campden, Gloucestershire

Almshouses, Chipping Campden, Gloucestershire
Photograph taken 1890 - 1905 © Historic England Archive ref: OP10939

Children outside the Almshouses with St. James' Church beyond. The Jacobean Almshouses were built in 1612 by Sir Baptist Hicks, who is buried in the church. They cost £1,000. The word 'chipping' in a place name means there was a market. The photograph is part of the P T Deakin collection.

Location

Gloucestershire Chipping Campden

Period

Stuart (1603 - 1713)

Tags

almshouse poor philanthropy charity people street village stuart (1603 - 1713) victorian (1837 - 1901)