Alnwick Castle, Alnwick, Northumberland

Alnwick Castle, Alnwick, Northumberland
Photograph taken 14 September 1999 © Mr Alastair Cochrane ARPS. Source Historic England Archive ref: 235592

The castle has been the seat of the Percy family since Norman times. By 1138 the original motte and bailey castle, with wooden buildings, was replaced with stone buildings and walls. In 1309 the keep and defences were made even stronger by Henry de Percy. The castle then stayed unchanged for 400 years. By the 18th century it had fallen into ruins. The keep however was then turned into a gothic style mansion by Robert Adam. In the 19th century the Duke of Northumberland carried out more restoration of the castle.