Armley Mills, Leeds, West Yorkshire

Armley Mills, Leeds, West Yorkshire
Photograph taken 05 July 2001 © Mr David Karran. Source Historic England Archive ref: 465690

The site of Armley Mills dates from the 16th century as a corn and fulling mill. In 1788 Colonel Thomas Lloyd bought the mill and rebuilt it as the largest woollen mills in the world with 18 fulling stocks and 50 looms. By the 1880s the premises were used by a variety of textile manufacturers and in 1969 Leeds City purchased the buildings for an industrial museum.