Bastion, Kirkleatham Hall Farm, Kirkleatham, Redcar and Cleveland

Bastion, Kirkleatham Hall Farm, Kirkleatham, Redcar and Cleveland
Photograph taken 18 July 2000 © Mr Peter Porteous. Source Historic England Archive ref: 60330

This bastion is one of a pair that were originally linked by a wall. They date from the early to mid 18th century. They were built as garden ornaments and also for defence against the threat of invasion by French privateers. They were later adapted for defence in WWII.

Location

Redcar and Cleveland Kirkleatham

Period

Georgian (1714 - 1836)

Tags

defence war ww2 world two wwii second tower georgian (1714 - 1836)