Battle Abbey School, Battle, East Sussex
A man leaning against a sundial by the east front of Battle Abbey School, which incorporates the west side of the cloisters of Battle Abbey. Battle Abbey was a Benedictine Abbey of St Martin. It was founded in 1067 by William the Conqueror on the site of the Battle of Hastings.The abbey was dissolved by Henry VIII in 1538. The lands passed to Sir Anthony Browne. He built a large house over the almonry on the west side of the cloisters. The house was altered in 1857 and became a public school. The abbey and grounds are now (2011) run by English Heritage.