Belmont Hospital, Belmont Road, Tiverton, Devon
A new union workhouse was built in 1837-8 on the site of the old town workhouse. It was designed by George Gilbert Scott and his partner William Bonython Moffatt. They were also the architects for other Devon workhouses in Bideford, Newton Abbot, and Tavistock. It was built to house 300 inmates. The Poor Law Commissioners agreed to spend the sum of £6,000 on its construction. The workhouse site later became Belmont Hospital which has now closed.