Bisham Abbey, Bisham, Berkshire

Bisham Abbey, Bisham, Berkshire
Photograph taken 1875 © Reproduced by permission of Oxfordshire County Council ref: HT01886

The 13th century south gateway and chapel of the former Knights Templar preceptory. The preceptory became a Benedictine abbey in 1537, but was dissolved in 1540 and given to Sir Philip Hoby as a dwelling. It now houses the National Sports Centre.

Location

Windsor and Maidenhead Bisham

Period

Medieval (Middle Ages) (1066 - 1484)

Tags

abbey monastery gate knight benedictine dissolution religion medieval (1066 - 1484)