Bishops Palace, Minster Yard, Lincoln, Lincolnshire
The palace stands close to Lincoln cathedral and was once among the most important buildings in the country. It was the home of the medieval bishops. Its architecture reflected enormous power and wealth. The original bishops palace dating from around 1155 is now a ruin, with the exception of the Alnwick tower. The new palace was built in 1727 and remodelled in gothic style in 1886. This engraving shows the 'North view of Lincoln Palace taken from the top of the minster' and was made by Samuel and Nathaniel Buck. They were brothers who, in 1724, set out around England to make prints of 'antiquities'. The property is now in the care of English Heritage (2011).