Bishops Palace, Minster Yard, Lincoln, Lincolnshire
The palace stands close to Lincoln cathedral and was once among the most important buildings in the country. It was the home of the medieval bishops. It was also the administrative centre of the largest diocese in medieval England which stretched from the Humber to the Thames. Its architecture reflected enormous power and wealth. The original bishops palace dating from around 1155 is now a ruin. The new palace was built in 1727 and remodelled in Gothic style in 1886. This view is taken looking towards the Alnwick Tower. The property is now in the care of English Heritage (2011).