Bishop's Waltham Palace, Waltham Palace, Hampshire
These are the ruins of a medieval palace used by the Bishops and senior clergy of Winchester as they travelled through their diocese. Winchester was the richest diocese in England, and its properties were grandiose and extravagantly appointed. The earliest surviving buildings date to the time of Henry of Blois (1129-1171), but much of what can be seen today is the work of William Wykeham, who was bishop from 1367 to 1404. The palace was used as an active residence until the English Civil War. It was considerably damaged after the royalist garrison surrendered. After the Restoration in 1660 some buildings were used for agricultural purposes while others were dismantled as a source for building materials. Other palaces of the Bishops of Winchester include Farnham Castle Keep and Wolvesey Castle (Old Bishop's Palace). This site is now in the care of English Heritage (2011). Read detailed archaeological description.