Blacksmith's Shop, Stott Park Bobbin Mill, Colton, Cumbria
The mill was built in 1835 to produce the wooden bobbins and reels vital to the Lancashire spinning and weaving industries. The mill closed in 1971. In 1983 it reopened as an industrial monument with most of its original machinery still in place. The blacksith's shop was just one part of the set of mill buildings. Repairs to machinery in early industrial sites were made on the site. Blacksmiths had the job of making and repairing virtually any metal parts needed for the running of the site, making them a vital person in the mill. This property is now in the care of English Heritage (2011).