Botanical Gardens, Sheffield, South Yorkshire
It was in 1834 that the Sheffield Botanical and Horticultural Society commissioned these gardens to be built. The Gardens were opened in 1836. Admission was limited to subscribers; the public was only allowed in on gala days. Free admission was only introduced in 1897 when the gardens were taken over by the Sheffield Town Trust.