Bourne Mill, Colchester, Essex

Bourne Mill, Colchester, Essex
Photograph taken 06 June 1921 © Historic England Archive ref: OP12152

This former water mill was built in 1591 by the Lucas family. It was probably built on the site of the former abbey mill using 12th and 13th century building material from St John's Abbey after it was destroyed following the dissolution.(Bourne Ponds belonged to the Abbey). Its elaborate character suggests that it was built for a fishing lodge. In the 17th century it became a cloth mill. It was used as such until the mid 19th century, when it was converted to a corn mill. It is of 2 storeys and has elaborate Dutch gables at each end and, at the apex, an octagonal chimney stack. It worked until 1935. It was given to the National Trust in 1936 and converted into a house. The machinery was restored in 1966. Find out more about windmills and watermills in our Teachers' Kit - Mills.

Location