Bowes Museum, Barnard Castle, Durham
The museum was built between 1869-1885 by J E Watson of Newcastle-upon-Tyne. It was designed by Jules Pellechet in a lavish French Chateau style. It was built for John Bowes, son of the 10th Earl of Strathmore. It opened in 1892 as a private museum to house his own collection of Spanish art, ceramics and furniture. It has been publicly owned since 1952. The grounds, including the large, arched terrace, were also designed by Jules Pellechet in 1869-76 and laid out and planted by John Bowes.