Bowes Road Clinic, Bowes Road, Enfield, Greater London
This Health Clinic was built in 1938-40 by Middlesex County Council Architect's Department. The main architects were W T Curtis, County Architect and H W Burchett, Assistant Architect to the Education Committee. Between them they created a distinctive style of architecture for Middlesex County Council. The buildings were made from a partial concrete frame with brick cladding to produce an architecture that was streamlined and modern in style, relatively cheap to construct, yet imbued with civic dignity and a strong presence. The clinic forms a strong group with the slightly earlier adjoining swimming baths and library. It is an excellent example of their work. The clinic was for the medical inspection of school children.