Bradley Lock, Newton Le Willows, Merseyside
This is the best preserved lock on the Sankey Canal. It was built in 1756 from stone. The retaining walls remain intact. The lock gates remain at one end only. The canal has been filled in to the west of the lock. The Sankey Canal opened in 1757. It was built by businessmen from Liverpool who wanted to transport coal from mines at St Helens and Haydock to the River Mersey. It was built before the Bridgewater canal and can claim to be the first canal. It had nine locks, the earliest staircase lock and a small boatyard and dry dock at Warrington.