Brewhouse, Royal William Victualling Yard, Cremyll Street, Plymouth
The Naval brewery and stores were built around 1830-31. They were designed by Sir John Rennie Jnr for the Victualling Board. The complex had several other building including; a water tank shed, a slaughterhouse and vegetable store and an ordnance factory. Although it was designed as a brewhouse the sailors beer ration was stopped by the Admiralty in 1831 before the building was completed. So it was never used for the original purpose. The building was largely unused until it was used for the slaughterhouse in 1885. The Yard is one of the most remarkable and complete early 19th century industrial complexes built in classical style.