Burnfoot Power House, Cartington, Northumberland
This building was built in 1883-7 for Lord Armstrong. It was built after the creation of Nelly's Moss Lakes. These gave a 107-metre head of water. This allowed Lord Armstrong to build equipment giving 90 amps of electricity at 110 volts. His house was the first in the world to be lit by water powered electric light. In 1895 a gas engine and dynamo were added. This almost doubled the power output. It was last used in 1945.