Burton Agnes Hall, East Riding of Yorkshire
A red brick Elizabethan style mansion built by Sir Henry Griffith from 1601-10, at the end of the Tudor and start of the Stuart period. It replaced the medieval manor house which still survives to the immediate west of it. The building was planned round a small central court and is little altered from the original except for the addition of 18th century windows. It has a 3 storied castellated central section and 4 octagonal turrets with pepperpot lead cupolas. A gatehouse was built in 1610 in red brick. This property is now in the care of English Heritage (2010). Find out more.