Cartmel Priory Gatehouse, Lower Allithwaite, Cumbria
The Cartmel priory gatehouse and church are the only buildings still standing. The gatehouse dates from the 14th century and was used as a school from 1624-1790. It is now the property of the National Trust. The Augustinian Priory of St Mary the Virgin at Cartmel was founded by William Marshal (later Earl of Pembroke) between 1189-94, and normally housed 10 canons. It was dissolved in 1537.