Castle Mills Lock, Castle Mills, York
This canal lock dates from 1889. It is a rebuilding of an earlier lock. The Foss Navigation Act was passed in 1793. The canal was opened as far as Strensall in c1796. In 1859 York Corporation gained an Act to abandon the Foss Navigation except for just over one mile in York. In 1889 the Corporation rebuilt Castle Mills lock for Henry Leetham and Sons, flour millers. This was to allow them to use the canal to transport their flour.