Castle Mound, The Street, Mileham, Norfolk
These are the ruins of a motte and bailey castle. The castle is first mentioned in 1153. The Norfolk Directory (1835) mentions "Burghwood Manor c 1346 belonged to the Earls of Richmond. Sir Edward Coke (Lord Chief Justice) was, in 1549, born in the manor house enclosed by the outer ditch of the castle". It appears clear that there has been continuous occupation of the site by the Lords of the Manor for some centuries. The manor house replaced the castle and the present Hall, which is mainly 19th century, replaced the manor house.