Cathedral Church of Christ and the Blessed Virgin Mary, Chester, Cheshire
Chester Cathedral was formerly the Abbey Church of St. Werburgh. The Abbey was founded in 1083. It is on the site of a Saxon minster (church) that was founded in or before 958. The present building dates from c1100 and was built for Abbot Richard. The Abbey was part of the Benedictine Order until the Dissolution. It then became the cathedral church of the newly created diocese of Chester.