Cathedral Church of Christ, St James Road, Liverpool, Merseyside

Cathedral Church of Christ, St James Road, Liverpool, Merseyside
Photograph taken 1945 - 1980 © Historic England Archive ref: AA98/04362

Liverpool Anglican Cathedral was begun in 1904, after Sir Giles Gilbert Scott won the competition, and has been described as 'the swansong of the Gothic Revival'. It was consecrated in 1924 but not completed until 1978. The cathedral dominates the city from its perch on St James's Mount.