Cathedral Church of St Augustine, College Green, Bristol
St Augustine's Abbey was founded by Robert Fitzhardinge in 1140. The abbey was given cathedral status by Henry VIII in 1542 after the dissolution. The main part of the church dates from the 14th century. It is one of the earliest major hall churches, 'superior to anything else built in England and indeed in Europe at the same time' (Pevsner). This type of church is much more common on the continent. In this type of church the Nave, Choir and Aisles are all the same height, making a large hall.